Saturday 8 December 2007

To Cut or Not to Cut a Christmas tree

Had to post this.
It came in from a friend in Portland, Oregon who sells wonderful
organic cotton and fairtrade children's clothing on her site Go Natural Baby. I think it it a great solution to the Christmas tree dilemma...EW

About one week ago I asked my five year old if he wanted to go to a farm to cut down our Christmas tree.
He said," cut a Christmas tree?"
"Yes," I said with some trepidation.
"I don't want to cut a tree. That would hurt it," he replied.
Our conversation progressed into me explaining to him that this is how we get Christmas trees. He then decided he wanted a fake tree. I have to admit I was not too keen on the idea of having a fake tree in the house. Although at this point in the conversation I was also feeling that I did not want to cut down a tree. My stomach tightened a bit when I thought of "giving" up our real Christmas tree. This was a mom moment when I thought I need to think before I speak.
"How about we don't get a tree at all. We can plant one in our front yard and decorate it there," I suggested.
"No, I want a tree..... in the house," he said.
Hmmmm, I was stumped. I told him we should think about it. The next day I received the newsletter from my son's school and believe it or not the head of the school was suggesting that families rent their Christmas tree. Yes, that's right I said "rent". I have never heard of it before (Portlanders be gentle, I am new to the area after all).
My son came home from school and I told him about renting a living tree. He loved the idea. I told him that they would deliver the tree and we would need to take care of it, including not putting lights on it. He did not care about the lights. I then proceeded to tell him that after the holidays they would come pick up the tree and it would be planted.
"Will it live forever?" he inquired. Well, that is another story.

You can learn more about renting a Christmas tree at: Living Christmas Trees

Happy Holidays to each and every one of you!
warm regards,
Justyn

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story.